I have a bad cold and way too much time on my hands today.

01 Jul 2009 05:24 pm

I was starting to feel hinky last night as I left the Capitol. My throat was beginning to hurt and I had a headache. I thought maybe it was just a combination of tiredness and anger over the budget but I woke up this morning with my throat on fire and a temperature. Hope none of y’all caught the bug from me in the Gallery.

But, the point of this post is neither to garner sympathy nor to gripe about the budget or lege. I happened upon a site called the Valley PR Blog, one of whose writers is a friend and fellow resident of the Tuke, Len Gutman. Len wrote a post about Michael Jackson and the power of PR to transform a troubled legacy posthumously. I happen to agree with Len but one of the commenters, a charming fellow named Tyler Hurst, didn’t. So I started responding, and then he started responding and then hilarity ensued in the comments section.

Tyler says he might blog about me. If he does I promise that I will share his special eloquence with Diva readers.

1. Comment by Courtenay on July 2, 2009 1:10 pm

I loved that you pulled quotes from his personal posts to punctuate your statements. I was actually interested enough in the debate to read all the comments–guess maybe I have too much time on my hands too…Thanks for giving Tyler what he deserved, a dose of reality.

2. Comment by Simon says: on July 4, 2009 10:48 am

Donna,
    I have an old friend. He dated large women. I always assumed he preferred large women. Once, when he was single for a time, I suggested something in reference to a large woman I thought he might be interested in. He pointed out to me how he did not prefer large women but, rather, was only dating what was available to him.

3. Comment by Simon says: on July 4, 2009 10:49 am

It was much more funny when it happened.

4. Comment by Donna on July 4, 2009 11:01 am

Years ago, I dated a guy (briefly) who was very bitter about his past experiences with women and felt that a guy who didn’t make a lot of money wasn’t considered a hot commodity among women. I explained to him that many women operate in a social milieu where dating a poor guy is the social equivalent of a man dating an overweight and unattractive woman, in their respective milieu. He replied that he’d never thought of it like that and that I probably had a point. This is why I don’t diss women for being “golddiggers” though I’m not much of one myself.

5. Comment by Simon says: on July 4, 2009 2:36 pm

You do have a good point.

6. Comment by Eli_Blake on July 7, 2009 8:38 pm

Well, all I have to add is this:

We’ve learned more than we wanted about Mark Sanford, including that he married his wife pretty much expressly because she came from a rich family which could help him launch his political career.

Was he a ‘golddigger?’ Yes.

And not surprisingly, he used what he wanted from her and went someplace else for love.

I’m just glad that she refused to stand behind him like a stage prop, a la Mrs. Hart and Mrs. McGreevy and Mrs. Vitter and Mrs. Craig and Mrs. Spitzer (the last also from a rich family who helped push his political career forward.)

Two other women who did not stand behind their husbands on ‘that day’ were Hillary Clinton and Elizabeth Edwards, and I’m glad they did not.

You have to wonder about a man who so publically humiliates his wife and then tries to hide behind her.