Phyllis Schlafly: Single ladies, he shoulda put a ring on it so you wouldn’t have voted for Obama

30 Jul 2010 12:00 am

Gotta love these conservative women.

“Unmarried women, 70% of unmarried women, voted for Obama, and this is because when you kick your husband out, you’ve got to have big brother government to be your provider,” said Schlafly, president of Eagle Forum and infamous for her opposition to the Equal Rights Amendment.

Because somebody’s gotta take care of those dumb broads, amirite fellas?

…In an interview with TPM this afternoon Schlafly stood by her comments and said Obama is trying to boost welfare rolls to help with his reelection and to help Democrats.

“Yes I said that. It’s true, too. All welfare goes to unmarried moms,” Schlafly told TPM. “They are trying to line up their constituency for Obama and Democrats against Republican candidates.”

All welfare goes to single moms. Therefore all unmarried women are on welfare. Quod erat demonstrandum, res ipsa loquitur,, Subset B of Set A = Set A. Phyllis, you’re not exactly helping to eradicate the stereotype of women that logic isn’t our forte. Just saying. And I guess my welfare check keeps getting lost in the mail, which is why I’ve been foolishly doing that “working for pay to support myself” thing all these years when I could have been living a life of bon-bon eating luxury on Uncle Sugar’s dime.

But I have to give Schlafly a little credit here. She’s rocking it old school style. None of this New Feminist Mama GrizzlyTM gun-toting posturing like we’ve been getting from Sarah Palin and her counterparts. Phyllis takes her reactionary gin straight and follows it with a chaser of the same. Her hairdo is frozen in 1972 and so is her credo: A woman is nothing without a man, so get yourself one and do his laundry and his bidding, pronto! Of course, she is a well educated woman with a high-powered career, who had nannies care for her own children while she traveled the country telling women they should stay home to raise their kids. Whatever, IOKIYAR.

Schlafly’s Eagle Forum PAC (“Leading the Pro-Family Movement Since 1972″) endorsed Rep. Trent Franks and State Senator Sylvia Allen in Arizona. Good choices, Phyllis.

1. Comment by Diane D'Angelo on July 30, 2010 5:16 am

Just got a mental image of our Phyl in the Beyonce video. That’ll keep me laughing all day. Thanks!

2. Comment by Appleblossom on July 30, 2010 2:10 pm

It is mildly irritating to say the least but as you pointed out, at least she has been consistently hypocritical for decades.

3. Comment by Timmys Cat on July 30, 2010 4:25 pm

OH kay. Fry day.

Hee! That looks like Art Linkletter in drag.

While you gals (wap! ow!) have that stereotype to fight , at least males don’t have to worry about any. It’s out there.
    F -”Why on earth did you do that?!”
    M – “Do wut? ” I dunno.”‘ “I thought you wanted it that way.” And the ever popular, F looks at M, M asks the deer in headlights question “What?!”

Otay, I’m going try to to figure this “logic” out.. (pray for me)
    Seems you can’t be an unmarried woman until you kick your husband out. So! I assume you voted for Obama, therefore statistically you must have kicked Rick out. Oops, not married? Are you an unmarried unwoman? Single unwoman?
    Aaaah, Persper… um, inspiration! In
    it’s mind you really aren’t a woman unless you’re married.
    (gots my inspiration while cleaning my you know what)
    All welfare goes to unmarried moms
    Pfft, you were looking for your check? Now you know where all the moolah went. Sew, if I go on welfare I’ll turn into an unmarried mom? (looks down..um).

Thare ya go, a primer into the Phyllis (still giving women the) Schafily School of Selective Misogyny.

Let’er rip Phyllis!
    I would not be just a nothin’ my head all full of stuffin’
    My heart all full of pain.
    I would dance and be merry, life would be a ding-a-derry,
    If I only had a brain.

(my head hurts.)

4. Comment by Timmys Cat on July 30, 2010 4:35 pm

Dang! All welfare,blah, blah

Cats don’t need tags. Here’s why dogs do.

5. Comment by AZ Mama on August 5, 2010 12:56 am

To the lady who smells like mothballs:

My mister put a ring on it. And yet I still voted for Obama. Because last I checked, the preacher man didn’t demand that ring be put through my nose. Or any other part of my female anatomy.

6. Pingback by Democratic Diva » Brewer book co-writer: “Single Women as a Threat to Freedom” on August 23, 2011 8:45 pm

[...] conservative standby. Recall that the godmother of modern anti-feminism, Phyllis Schlafly, inveighed against single female Obama voters last year: “Unmarried women, 70% of unmarried women, voted for Obama, and this is because when you kick [...]