Relax. It’s going to be okay.

29 Nov 2012 09:20 pm

keep calm poster

So Governor Brewer joined several other GOP governors to opt Arizona out of creating a state-run health insurance exchange and allow the federal government to set one up here instead. Brewer’s office insists their hands were tied because Obamacare did not give the state enough “flexibility” to blah blah blah whatever… The Republic‘s Linda Valdez theorizes that the Brewer admin was looking for an “easy way out of a fight with the GOP Legislature”, which sounds about right. As y’all remember, I find this to be a welcome development as I trust the Obama administration, which passed Obamacare and wants it to succeed, than I trust a bunch of Republicans who loathe the President and are still grumpy about the election with Obamacare. I like my healthcare to be as drama-free as possible.

Democratic legislators are not so sanguine about it. Both the Senate Democrats and House Democrats have issued press releases denouncing Brewer’s move. I had a lengthy Facebook and Twitter exchange with a Dem lawmaker who strenuously disagrees with me that a federally run exchange could work just dandy and perhaps better than a state-run one. And I’ll give that disagreement due consideration. Democratic legislators, being legislators, are infinitely more familiar with the workings of the state legislature than I and also more versed in matters of public policy. So they may be right that a state exchange offers efficiency and quality that can only come from local control. They may also be right that, had Brewer acceded to it, Democrats and Republicans in the legislature would have worked together to create a good state exchange. But as the quaint saying goes, if my aunt had balls she’d be my uncle. It’s useless to pine for what isn’t going to happen. We’re going to get a federally-run exchange, and everything is probably going to be okay. That’s why I choose to celebrate this and point and laugh at the chuckleheaded conservatives in Arizona who are helping to grow the federal government and push the country a step closer to single payer. Also, too, the co-pay free birth control!

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not going to be totally okay. Governor Brewer is likely to opt out of the Medicaid expansion as well, with no federal silver lining. The only solution to that is to elect Democrats statewide in 2014.

Also, you can generate your own Keep Calm poster here. You’re welcome.

1. Comment by Michael Bryan on November 30, 2012 7:00 am

Actually, I am not at all sure that Brewer will reject the expansion. her handlers at Highground have been organizing hospitals and providers in the state to lobby for accepting the expansion, and even the GOP leadership does not seem to rabid about rejecting the billions of new federal dollars it would bring to the state’s healthcare sector. They know they would be vulnerable to accusations that they failed to deliver growth and jobs by rejecting the money. They are leery of the future obligations, but it is far from a done deal. If Arizonans organize and demand the expansion there is very good reason to believe it will happen.

2. Comment by Suzanne on November 30, 2012 11:43 am

Thank you Donna, and Thank you Michael.
    Both of your remarks make me feel better.

3. Comment by Mike Slater on November 30, 2012 5:17 pm

I’m glad Brewer opted out of creating a state exchange. Let the feds do it and when it fails they get the blame.

Donna, the voters aren’t going to elect Democrats statewide in 2014. That’s just wishful thinking on your part.

4. Comment by Timmys Cat on December 1, 2012 9:54 pm

I just got my prefrontal lobotomy realigned and boy are my arms tired.

Naaaah. Brewer just doesn’t give a shite anymore. Ima telling you she is only in it for herself now. If she gets in a big squabble with the Gooper maroons at the Lege she loses Con crede ’cause she would appear to be on the side of Obamacare.
    By blaming the Feds she can avoid touching the whole thing and keep her star power on the White….uh..Repoober welfa..dang..lecture tour.

Plus she’s probably tired of getting sued and losing. She’s most likely knows that anything coming out of her goombahs at the Lege will end up in court with that terrorist Holder
    (remember Fast and Furious? neither does Boehner.)

On a ketchup note.

On behalf of Diva Krista and myself I would like to give a short statement about Sinema’s victory.

Nyah nyah nyah nyah. Told ya so told ya so told ya so.
    pffbbbttt.

5. Comment by Donna on December 2, 2012 4:42 pm

Hi Timmy! You were right, I was wrong, and Rep. Sinema is going to do a great job!

6. Comment by Donna on December 2, 2012 4:53 pm

Michael, I won’t join in pressuring for a state exchange until I’m convinced that it will be preferable to one that is federally run. If it means more money to the state, great, but I want assurance that money is going to patient care and not to line the pockets of cronies and “consultants”. I also think karoli from Crooks and Liars makes a good point about a multi-state exchange being a larger pool and, therefore, more likely to be less costly on that score alone.