Kyl’s shameful grand finale

05 Dec 2012 04:27 pm

Senator Jon Kyl is retiring after this lame duck session, after which he will undoubtedly step into a lucrative lobbying career. So he has nothing to worry about vis a vis his present job. Really, he hasn’t had a thing to worry about from the time he decided this would be his last Senate term. I mention this because on more than one occasion I’ve seen Kyl described as an intelligent guy who is reasonable deep down inside but is forced, forced to embrace whackadoodle right wing positions due to being surrounded by whackadoodle right wingers. I’ve posted before about my deep skepticism of the theory that Kyl is a closet moderate and his latest disgusting move only reinforces my feeling on that.

Yesterday Kyl joined 37 other Senators (GOP all) in blocking the US joining a UN resolution calling for more rights and dignity for disabled people. There was nothing in it that changed any US law or policy regarding disabilities and it was modeled after the existing Americans With Disabilities Act, signed by President Bush Sr. in 1990. While we still have very far to go in this country in addressing injustices against disabled people, the ADA was groundbreaking and arguably the most progressive national legislation passed before Obama’s health care law. The Republican opposition to ratifying the UN resolution was a trifecta of paranoid right wing horsepuckey: panic over “American sovereignty”, parental authority in homeschooling, and (of course) abortion. And Kyl went along with that because, why, exactly? Does he have a primary challenge to worry about? Really, when was the last time Kyl had to worry about that? If he truly is a “bridge between his party‚Äôs most ardent conservatives and more pragmatic centrists” then a lot of Kyl’s behavior and stances he’s taken over the past few years are inexplicable. Unless you’re like me and believe that Jon Kyl is a right wing nut every bit as nutty as Glenn Beck. Oh, and a big old mean misogynist too. It’s just who the man is.

Remember this needlessly cruel and stupid act of Jon Kyl as he exits the Senate stage, as I predict that the myth of Kyl as a sensible pragmatist will grow larger around him the longer he’s out of office. They’ll be calling him a “statesman” pretty regularly within the next couple of years.

1. Comment by BruceJ on December 5, 2012 5:24 pm

One wonders if these geniuses are aware that an international treaty is BY DEFINITION some small abrogation of US Sovereignty?

Not Kyl; calling him dumb as a box of rocks will piss off the rocks, and probably get the box to punch you in a drunken rage over the insult…

2. Comment by movingazforward on December 5, 2012 6:38 pm

Kyl’s legacy will be that of an extreme ideologue who acted on behalf of (and lied for) partisan gain far more often than he did anything to impact the state of Arizona in positive ways.

3. Comment by mitch martinson on December 5, 2012 10:35 pm

Thanks for a great post, Donna. If you’re interested, I clipped the C-Span video of both McCain and Kyl’s floor speeches (they were conveniently back-to-back), and placed them on my blog at bit.ly/AZp376. (I think you could even embed it here, if you’d like.)

4. Comment by Mike Slater on December 6, 2012 5:54 pm

I’m sorry to see Kyl leave and wish him well. I’d like to see him be nominated to the Supreme Court. The liberals would go crazy.

5. Comment by Liberal Democrat Friend of Bruce Ash on December 7, 2012 12:39 pm

Not as crazy as a dumbass who thinks being poor is a grand old time.

6. Comment by Mike Slater on December 7, 2012 1:03 pm

Lib, when did I say being poor is a grand old time?

7. Comment by Eli Blake on December 8, 2012 6:39 pm

They were giving excuses talking about Home Schooling and abortion. I actually read the treaty (I posted a link to it on FB) and there is NOTHING IN there about homeschooling or abortion.

The real irony is that a lot of the language is identical to what is in the American ADA act– we took the lead in pushing this onto the world stage, and now we are off in a corner hatching up conspiracy theories about the U.N. and homeschooling and black helicopters. Ronald Reagan would wonder when we abrogated our position of leadership and optimism in the world.