My afternoon with anti-choicers

06 Jun 2013 03:57 pm

Boy, the sacrifices I make for you guys. At noon today I stood, under the blazing Phoenix sun, at the Family Planning Associates clinic on 7th St to listen to an assemblage of delusional nitwits spouting errant nonsense about some “sting” video Lila Rose made about the clinic. Unfortunately my phone’s camera isn’t working so I couldn’t video the event but, fortunately, Channel 12′s Brahm Resnik was there with a cameraman. He interviewed me after the rally so I may be on the news later. Reporter Howie Fischer was there as well and some other news people whose names I don’t know.

A few random observations:

I can’t estimate crowds to save my life but I’ll take a stab there were around 150 people there, some of whom had been bused in.

Lila Rose, who is supposedly an aspiring actress, is a very attractive and charismatic woman in person – eerily confident and self-possessed. In other words, a slick con artist. Yes, you can be both a true believer and a con artist. They are not mutually exclusive qualities.

Cathi Herrod is clearly not happy about her 20 week abortion bill being overturned by the court. But it is equally clear that she is not giving up. Every time I go to one of these anti-choice events my understanding that these people are deadly serious is strongly reinforced. Democrats who still insist on treating reproductive rights as secondary issue that only riles up a few hysterical feminists need to wise the hell up and pay attention.

Senator Nancy Barto told the crowd that she got her start in activism in the anti-abortion cause that wanting to end abortion was one of the main factors in her decision to run for office. The same is true of a bunch of conservative Republicans currently holding office in Arizona and all over the country. Again, Democrats who downplay this issue might want to consider how terrifyingly successful anti-choice Republicans have been at not only peeling back abortion access but in getting themselves elected and proceeding to do their level best to ruin the state with their other nutty ideas. Stop being so goddamn timid about using this as a campaign issue.

There was a woman in the crowd sitting under a big umbrella holding a sign that said “The Pill Kills”. A reminder that they are after our birth control too.

One of the speakers was a woman who regretted the abortion she had. A mother of five, she told a dubious sob story of being pressured by Planned Parenthood to abort the pregnancy because it was her sixth. She claimed she was presented with no other options by the clinic and that the doctor refused to let her see the ultrasound. I’m not buying it. There were some women behind her holding signs that say “I regret my abortion”. I love how the only women who are able to proclaim publicly they had abortions without risking vicious harassment are the ones who now regret it and want to deny a procedure that they took advantage to other women. Screw them. Seriously, if you regret your abortion there are several things you can do about it that I would respect but one of them is definitely not “join a movement seeking to turn doctors and women into criminals while taking away birth control and teaching abstinence-only sex ed”. I felt like going up to one of the regretful women and asking if she would turn herself in to go to jail if abortion becomes illegal.

There were at least five Arizona legislators there (that I recognize) and I don’t think one of them supports the Medicaid expansion. Which really puts the lie to all the blather I heard at the rally about “cherishing life”.

1. Comment by Suzanne on June 7, 2013 3:10 pm

Thank you for your sacrifice, Donna.

Cathy Harrod is a very strange woman.

2. Comment by Mike Slater on June 7, 2013 4:53 pm

Donna, I bet you were a big hit at the rally. I have nothing against abortion as long as women pay for it and not taxpayers.

It fact the more minority and liberal women that have abortions the better. Less future Democrat voters that way.

3. Comment by Old Economy Steve on June 7, 2013 5:29 pm

I’m all for allowing deep red states to reject public health care. Less Teabagger votes that way.

4. Comment by Mike Slater on June 8, 2013 12:21 pm

Old Economy Steve, those of us on the right pay are own way. What a concept.

5. Comment by Old Economy Steve on June 9, 2013 1:18 pm

Sure you do, which is why you won’t collect social security or medicare or walk on the sidewalks I paid for with my taxes.

6. Comment by Old Economy Steve on June 9, 2013 1:19 pm

By the way, did you say you worked in a unionized industry? Are you comfortable having your health insurance and pension be handled by those untrustworthy commies?

7. Comment by Mike Slater on June 9, 2013 2:38 pm

Old, I be more than happy for the government to just give me back, with interest of course, the money I paid into SS and Medicare. BTW, I’m not old enough to collect either one.

Yes I was in the C.W.A. union for 30 years. When I retired I took a cash buyout and invested the money. I have United Health Care insurance which I pay $400 a month for so it’s not free.

I pay taxes for sidewalks police, fire and all the other things you pay for. What I don’t like is paying for other people’s contraceptives, abortions and health care. That’s why I’m a conservative and not a liberal.

8. Comment by Suzanne on June 10, 2013 6:55 pm

Mike, None of us wants to pay for others reproductive care; I don’t like paying for others child hospital delivery costs, but I do. I recognize however, that the cost of birth control is so much less, in so many ways, than long-term issues associated with poverty and welfare.

9. Comment by Mike Slater on June 11, 2013 1:52 pm

Suzanne, the problem in the country today is the fact that many people don’t want to take personal responsibility for their actions and find it easier to let the government (i.e. the taxpayers) pay for their actions.

10. Comment by dude on June 12, 2013 10:19 am

Do you have your own opinions, or do you just say what Rush Limbaugh says?

11. Pingback by Words Will Never Hurt Me: My Response to a Delusional “Democratic Diva” on June 14, 2013 9:30 am

[...] 14, 2013, 12:30 pm ET Last week, pro-abortion “Democratic Diva Donna” complained that standing “under the blazing Phoenix sun” was an exasperating “sacrifice” she had to [...]