Sad day for voter suppression in Arizona

11 Sep 2013 05:37 pm

I’ve been off blogging for nearly a week and for a very good reason, as I’ve been spending much of my time helping to organize and verify petitions (pats self on back) for the referendum to overturn HB2305, an omnibus bill designed to attack access to the ballot by non-Republicans. At 2pm today, representatives from the Protect Your Right to Vote Arizona Commmittee led by chair Julie Erfle, along with reps from the Democratic and Libertarian Parties and 20 different community organizations, held a press conference at the state capitol in front of dozens of boxes packed full of petitions. The minimum requirement to get on the 2014 ballot is about 87K signatures and we brought 146K. Organizers deliberately acted modest about their expectations on the signature gathering operation, which made it fun to watch the haters taunt it.

sonoran alliance tweet 2305

drew chavez tweet

Yes, it is fascinating. After the inevitable challenges to the signatures by the forces of voter suppression, the referendum will be on the 2014 ballot and the law will be stayed until then. Huzzah!

Sam Wercinski of Arizona Advocacy Network spoke at the presser and reminded the reporters and crowd of Moral Majority co-founder Paul Weyrich‘s famous quote about voting.

“Now many of our Christians have what I call the goo-goo syndrome — good government. They want everybody to vote. I don’t want everybody to vote. Elections are not won by a majority of people, they never have been from the beginning of our country and they are not now. As a matter of fact, our leverage in the elections quite candidly goes up as the voting populace goes down.

Pretty much.

As I left the Capitol I passed by a small group of people in lawn chairs under a tree with a “Stop Obamacare. Sign the Petition” sign. Not sure if they were still trying to gather signatures for the right wing referendum to stop AZ’s Medicaid expansion, which appears to have fizzled out, or not. Quel dommage!

1. Comment by John Loredo on September 11, 2013 6:08 pm

This huge coalition will never forget the way Drew Chavez went all out to sabotage and discredit our effort. I hope the Republicans continue to keep him employed because he won’t get another dime from us.

2. Comment by Arizona Eagletarian on September 11, 2013 6:38 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPsl_TuFdes here’s the link to Weyrich on YouTube.

3. Comment by Drew on September 11, 2013 8:17 pm

You are funny Donna. Love your stuff. My friends call me Drew. Call me Andrew, John.

4. Comment by Timmys Cat on September 12, 2013 8:04 am

Mmmm mmm, some little flea named Drew seems to have a case of the eating crow chapped butts.
    I think the name Andy would fit better.
    Andy Andy Andy. Yep has a nice ring to it.

(pats self on back)

Indeed!
    A well deserved one, and one from me as well.
    Brava! on your hard work and effort. This cat is proud of you and respects you even more.
    Thank you for your work to help end this fraud of protecting the ballot. It seems Republicans don’t want a true Democracy. Using fear and fraud to cynically manipulate a system is not governance.
    It just struck me the GOP seems to be taking a page from an organized crime syndication.

Donna Gratehouse, you are the real deal. I am proud to comment (rant? spew?) here.

5. Comment by Timmys Cat on September 12, 2013 8:39 am

Hahahahahah ooo eee ooo!
    Cat has super feline powers.
    My comment about organized crime which I tossed out before looking anything up?

According to Edmondson, in reality, despite Chavez’s claims, he hired convicted felons to collect signatures for which Petition Partners was paid $5 per signature.

While Edmondson has filed a civil RICO (Racketeer Influenced Corrupt Organization) action against Chavez and his company in federal court, he said there is also an ongoing criminal investigation…..

Seems like Andy (scarface?) Chavez is wanna be gangsta. A freaking RICO?

I’m with John, keep up the good work.

6. Comment by Timmys Cat on September 12, 2013 8:58 am

Never mind was dismissed.
    dammm

7. Comment by Mike Slater on September 12, 2013 11:39 am

The Goldwater Institute filed a suit to put a stop on the Medicaid expansion. Seems this isn’t over just yet.

8. Comment by Suzanne on September 14, 2013 4:42 pm

Donna I concur, you are the real deal. You and others have done a great service in this effort. I humbly Thank-you.