Much as I dislike the DINO anti-choicer, and his egregious toupee, I have to admit we could use a Ben Nelson here

20 Dec 2009 09:41 pm

Per an AP article about the Senate Conference deliberations earlier this evening:

…Nebraska, Louisiana, Vermont and Massachusetts. These states are getting more federal help with Medicaid than other states. In the case of Nebraska — represented by Sen. Ben Nelson, who’s providing the critical 60th vote for the legislation to pass — the federal government is picking up 100 percent of the tab of a planned expansion of the program, in perpetuity…

In perpetuity! Kyl and McCain, especially McCain, what have y’all done for us lately? For that matter, what is Jan Brewer doing to get more federal dollars for AHCCCS?

Say what you will about Ben Nelson, DINO corporate sell-out and religious reactionary panderer extraordinaire, but the man knows how to take care of his constituents.

From the AP article:

A handful of physician-owned hospitals being built around the country — including one in Bellevue, Neb. — which would be permitted to get referrals from the doctors who own them, avoiding a new ban in the Senate bill that will apply to hospitals built in the future. Without mentioning Nebraska or other states by name, the Senate bill pushes back some legal deadlines by several months, in effect making a few hospitals that are near completion eligible to continue receiving referrals from the doctors who own them. The provision was described by a pair of health industry lobbyists who spoke on condition of anonymity in order to speak freely. Chalk up another win for Nelson.

Wowzers.

1. Comment by Timmys Cat on December 21, 2009 9:37 am

which would be permitted to get referrals from the doctors who own them,

Hmmm, me am smelling anti-trust.at worst, or ethical violation at best. It seems more and more when Medical/Pharma and politicians ge together the trough just gets filled to the brim.

I have serious issues with you about McCain. He has provided!
    He has given us Sarah Palin!

Kyl’s a putz. If he didn’t have a script, he’d he’d be in the corner picking his nose.

2. Comment by Timmys Cat on December 21, 2009 9:58 am

i do mourn the loss of all the little nylons who were sacricificed so Nelson could look…..um…higher?

3. Comment by Eli_Blake on December 21, 2009 7:47 pm

T.C.

WHAT has McCain provided? We have the biggest budget deficit with respect to the overall budget of any state in the nation, and are more dysfunctional that California (remember, they DID get a budget done this year– we still are working on this year’s budget.)

McCain has done NOTHING for Arizona. NOTHING! At least not since he got funding a few years back for the WIlliam H. Rehnquist Center.

McCain is all about making national headlines and as far as he’s concerned Arizona is just a place that he runs in elections in.

We pay taxes, and they go to other states, because McCain makes it that way.

4. Comment by Eli_Blake on December 21, 2009 7:48 pm

Oh, and Donna, I’d say instead of ‘we need a Ben Nelson,’ how about ‘we need a Bernie Sanders.’ The money for Vermont was to keep Sanders in line when he threatened to stop supporting the bill because it had become too conservative.

5. Comment by Eli_Blake on December 21, 2009 7:49 pm

Oh, and Blanche Lincoln looks like a fool now. She made a big stink about the bill too. But unlike Landreau, Lieberman and Nelson, she got nothing tangible to change her vote.

6. Comment by Timmys Cat on December 22, 2009 8:27 am

Eli dear, I was snarking about McCain. However I do appreciate your passion.

McCain has never been and never will be for anytbody but McCain. Why this one way road keeps getting repaved is beyond me.

7. Comment by Alan Scott on December 22, 2009 2:31 pm

Donna,

So I take it that you are in favor of earmarks?

8. Comment by Donna on December 22, 2009 9:14 pm

Alan, I’m not a conservative reactionary so I don’t have the bizarre fixation on them. I’d prefer states get the money they need though the ordinary appropriations process but if earmarks bring us needed funding for highways, schools, and breast cancer research, so be it.

I mean, I take it you’re for breast cancer research, right?

9. Comment by Alan Scott on December 24, 2009 3:41 pm

Donna,

“I mean, I take it you’re for breast cancer research, right?”

Of course. I am for a lot of worthy causes. Unfortunately worthy causes tend to compete with one another for money. You can only give to one by taking from another.

I don’t suppose I can convince you of the evils of the spoils system, earmarks, pork, etc. if your favorite causes are benefiting? It’s amazing how you moral liberals can’t see the rampant corruption of it.

For all of the lofty BS that Lord Obama used to get elected, what we have is good old fashioned Chicago Patronage politics. To the victor belong the spoils.

Your people have complete control. They can drain the treasury, run deficits that Bush would not have dreamed of, buy off everybody, and party like there’s no tomorrow.

At some point, just like California, they will max out their triple Platinum credit card. They are going to have start screwing somebody to pay for this mess. The rich will find ways to protect themselves, they always do.

The middle class is being put on social heroin, with Obama-care. Just like in Europe and Canada.

I suppose the Chinese still need to sell us their plastic crap to keep their people working. Otherwise they’d have cut up Nancy’s, Harry’s, and Barak’s credit cards by now.

Meanwhile, poor Hillary has to visit third World resorts like Ghana, Liberia, and Botswana and pretend she is still relevant.