Budget draft released! It sucks!

27 Apr 2009 10:44 pm

But hey, the precious property tax cuts are saved! Oh wait…

The House and Senate late Monday released a draft budget proposal that nearly closes the $3 billion deficit without a tax increase, borrowing or the sale of state assets.
Instead, budget negotiators propose taking $300 million in projected balances from K-12, much of which would be used to reduce local property taxes, and another $265 million from counties and municipalities.

Nearly $500 million in federal stimulus funding would be used to close the remaining current-year deficit and another $989 million in federal funds is dedicated to the 2010 shortfall.

Agency budgets would be cut by $670 million, including $283 million from K-12, $63 million from AHCCCS and nearly $75 million from the Department of Economic Security.

Another $394 million would come from fund transfers, including $30 million in job training money in the Department of Commerce, $27 million from the Department of Environmental Quality and $11 million from the Department of Public Safety.

Behold: draftbudget1

Woo hoo!   Or, as Sen. Jay Tibshraeny says:

“They haven’t thought this out very long,” he said. “It kind of makes you scratch your head and wonder what the end game is here.”

I predict lots of heads will be scratched over this travesty of a “budget”. I hope the Head and Shoulders Shampoo shipment is being expedited to our benighted bulwark as we speak.

On a personal note, this was the final straw that caused me to subscribe to the AZ Guardian extortion subscription fee. Aaargh!!

1. Comment by todd on April 27, 2009 10:55 pm

What I don’t get is Kavanaugh running around saying the K-12 cuts are going to be nowhere near what people are claiming all the while they are looking at taking about $600 million from K-12 total with the fund sweeps and cuts. Its almost like he was, oh what is the word, oh yes, lying!

BTW, The Guardian is doing a much better job covering local and state issues than the Republic so I have been subscribing as well.

2. Comment by Donna on April 27, 2009 11:03 pm

Well todd, Kavanaugh thinks you should stop being so shrill about your demands for education funding. He’s pretty willing to be, well, shrill about it, as you have seen.

3. Comment by native on April 28, 2009 1:21 pm

Donna and Todd, I think you all missed the memo. Remember, tax cuts are good for the economy! Destroying education, eliminating government services, and irrevocably turning Arizona into a despicable backwater will attract all kinds of new jobs and prosperity. Remember?

4. Comment by Steve Hartman on May 4, 2009 9:42 pm

Donna, I heard that you were blogging on company time is that true? This sounds like stealing.

5. Comment by Donna on May 5, 2009 2:59 pm

Steve, I heard that you are trying to impersonate an employee of my company on the Internet. That sounds like lying.

For the edification of all you trolls as regards my employment: I am a home based representative with no set schedule. I may be blogging at 2pm but I may also be at a meeting or appointment at 7pm. Everything I write is on my own computer, using my own connection. KTHXBYE.