Buh bye for now HB2701

25 Feb 2010 10:01 pm

This afternoon the lege killed the solar jobs killing bill.

House Bill 2701 was killed two days after hearing from several solar companies, including Suntech Power Holdings Co. Ltd., which threatened to abandon plans to locate a factory in Goodyear.

The bill was seen as a potential showdown with the Arizona Corporation Commission, which had set standards requiring state utilities get 15 percent of their energy from renewable sources such as solar and wind by 2025. Provisions included the classification of nuclear power as a renewable.

Solar industry officials said the bill had the potential to gut the industry in the state. Other companies protesting the bill were First Solar and Arizona Public Service Co.

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer issued a statement thanking bill sponsor Rep. Debbie Lesko, R-Glendale, for pulling the bill from consideration.

“This sends a clear and united message to employers around the world — Arizona remains the premier destination for solar industries,” Brewer said in the statement.

Since much of the impetus behind this bill was a grab by the Legislature at the ACC’s authority, expect this issue to be resurrected, maybe minus the unpopular solar-killing aspect. Still, this needs to be used as a campaign issue against the sponsors, especially LD12’s Weiers, Montenegro, and Nelson. Smooth move, guys, jeopardizing a big solar project in your district.

Then, there’s this:

The two-week fight over the bill may already have inflicted damage on Arizona’s chances to land at least one company, China’s Yingli Green Energy. The Austin Business Journal, sister paper of the Phoenix Business Journal, reported on its Web site Thursday that Yingli was offered a contract with the Texas city to locate its manufacturing facility there.

Yingli, while not publicly committed to Arizona, had received a federal tax credit from the U.S. Department of Energy to locate in Arizona. The company potentially could lose millions in the credit if it switches states, as DOE officials said the grants cannot be transferred.

Hopefully that’s an overblown concern, especially since a federal tax credit is at stake, but still, thanks ever so much to the myopic dimwits in our State Legislature that it’s even an issue.

1. Comment by Timmys Cat on February 26, 2010 9:47 am

When APS opposes a solar bill, the message being sent is WTF?

I’m of the opinion when It’s an all Gooper government , all their district/party designations should be (R-Stoopid).

2. Comment by Timmys Cat on February 26, 2010 9:49 am

anti-solar bill. AAAGH!

3. Comment by Timmys Cat on February 26, 2010 3:35 pm

Well since all I’m hearing in comments is me, and my behind sure has been kicked.today, I do believe I’ll have some fun.

You should see the family get together

4. Comment by Alan Scott on February 27, 2010 9:26 am

Timmey’s Cat,

Why can’t Solar stand on it’s own ? Why must it get corporate welfare ? Why can’t it compete in the market place with out a 15% usage mandate ?

For every Solar job created, a couple of other jobs will be destroyed!

5. Comment by Donna on February 27, 2010 10:48 am

And can you provide some credible evidence that every solar job created destroys other jobs, or are you just making stuff up again?

6. Comment by Alan Scott on February 28, 2010 11:27 am

Donna,

I never just make things up . I know that you will reject my argument, but I will post this link anyway . It will at least let you know how my side justifies itself . It concerns Spain . I don’t remember, I may have posted this link before on your blog .

” “Optimistically treating European Commission partially funded data, we find that for every renewable energy job that the State manages to finance, Spain’s experience cited by President Obama as a model reveals with high confidence, by two different methods, that the U.S. should expect a loss of at least 2.2 jobs on average, or about 9 jobs lost for every 4 created.” ”

You can dispute this all you want, but the fact remains that all of the places like Spain and California that spent a lot going green have higher unemployment than the places that did not .

Now I will give you one crumb, listing nuclear as renewable is ridiculous . And it does get more than it’s share of subsidies compared to conventional sources .

I personally would rather nuclear get fewer government hand outs, but also have something done about the endless lawsuits your side has used to murder nuclear .

” Alan, every form of energy is subsidized, and nuclear gets the most welfare. Did you click on the link I provided. ”

I clicked on your link. To me it signifies merely politics, no economic or scientific value .

As far as who gets the most government welfare, ( aka. subsidies ), I challenge your facts . According to the DOE here are the figures .

(dollars/megawatthour) Wind =23.37 Solar=24.34 Nuclear=1.59 Coal=0.44 Oil and natural gas=0.25 .

The only thing that got more welfare than Your Solar and Wind was Refined Coal, which I don’t believe is a big sector .

Please do not just do your usual white wash with my statement . At least do the research and challenge the individual facts I use to support my case .

7. Comment by Alan Scott on February 28, 2010 11:43 am

Donna,

I need to correct an error I made concerning refined coal . It is a bigger sector in generated kilowatts and government subsidies than solar or wind . I apologize for the mistake . The link to this data is

8. Comment by Timmys Cat on March 1, 2010 8:55 am

Alan honey, change your undies. You seem to be a bit strident lately.

Let’s flip the coin. How many tax breaks to oil companies are preventing new solar jobs? Dead dinosaur goop isn’t going to last forever. It seems the collateral cost, not just in money, but in human lives, is becoming intolerable.

I may be confused, but I’ve never heard of a war over sunshine.

9. Comment by Get Real on March 1, 2010 12:41 pm

Sounds good guys, end all corporate welfare. Go ahead and argue that and I’m right there with you.

10. Comment by Get Real on March 1, 2010 12:43 pm

Oh and Timmy’s Cat, could you put in some serious licking time? I think you had a blowout last time in the litter box.

11. Comment by Timmys Cat on March 1, 2010 1:36 pm

Hah!

Alan, don’t hide behind a new nym.
    Your mouse tracks are all over it.

Police Officer: Sir, are you classified as human?
    Korben Dallas: Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

12. Comment by Appleblossom on March 1, 2010 4:17 pm

*Gets her watergun* Oh yeah Timmy’s Cat?

Prepare to get soaked!

13. Comment by Alan Scott on March 1, 2010 8:30 pm

Timmey’s Cat,

” How many tax breaks to oil companies are preventing new solar jobs? ”

I don’t have that information, besides solar are not real jobs because they are subsidized . Also oil pays far more in taxes than it is subsidized.

” Dead dinosaur goop isn’t going to last forever. It seems the collateral cost, not just in money, but in human lives, is becoming intolerable.”

Oil will last for your life time and when it does run out, your solar toys won’t be what replaces it .Right now the US is sitting on quite a bit of natural gas, but an informed person like you knew that, right ?

” Alan, don’t hide behind a new nym.
    Your mouse tracks are all over it. ”

I do not need to resort to tricks to make a fool out of you .

Any time you collect enough brain cells in a row to write something half way intelligent, I’ll be here to answer you .

14. Comment by Appleblossom on March 2, 2010 11:43 am

15. Comment by Alan Scott on March 2, 2010 4:33 pm

Appleblossom,

” Not real jobs? Oh well I guess that those are not real people who are not getting real paychecks that then are spent on things like food. ”

I have to come up with an analogy, you may be familiar with . You may have read about or seen TV shows that dealt with patronage jobs . Usually these are associated with big city political machines, like uh say,,, Chicago .

Some people actually produce something, but many of these are payoffs . These are real people too, getting real paychecks for producing nothing .

Now solar jobs do produce products . These products generally would not be valuable enough economically to be produced . Thanks to being politically valuable, they do get produced through subsidies .

Anyone who tells you otherwise, does not know what she is talking about .

16. Comment by Appleblossom on March 2, 2010 10:59 pm

No, Donna usually does know what she is talking about. Unlike you nor does she have to use pretzel logic to try to convince anyone about what she is saying.

17. Comment by Alan Scott on March 3, 2010 4:23 pm

Appleblossom,

I have posted evidence of what I am talking about . Donna has not posted evidence destroying my statements. I say green collar does not work long term . Now I challenge you and Donna to post examples of where it has worked . I say it has failed in Germany and failed horribly in Spain . As always, prove me wrong .

18. Comment by Alan Scott on March 6, 2010 9:12 am

Appleblossom,

Since you did not answer me, I will continue . I dare you to dispute, independently, my facts . In Germany they subsidize each worker in the Wind powered electric industry nearly $250,000 . In Spain it is $800,000 per worker on the solar assembly line .

Does that sound like good economics to you ?