If you don’t want to be called a hater, don’t hate people.

17 Aug 2012 08:42 pm

So I got my “5 Minutes for Families” email from Center for Arizona Policy (CAP) this morning. For some reason, it’s not linked on their site yet but here’s what Cathi Herrod had to say about the recent shooting at the Family Research Council office in Washington, DC:

Thanks to a heroic security guard, our colleague’s lives were saved. Yet where is the outrage in the mainstream media at the heinous rhetoric of our opponents?

The day before the shooting, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) referred to FRC as a “Hate Group.” Others consistently refer to FRC and other organizations (including CAP) as bigots and extremists.

HRC and their fellow homosexual advocacy groups have tried to distance themselves from the shooter (who had been volunteering at a D.C. LGBT group), but what do they expect to happen when they use such irresponsible language?

The truth is that this type of hate-filled speech isn’t isolated to D.C. In the last year alone, one state Senator called me a “legislative terrorist,” while the Arizona Capitol Times ran an editorial comparing CAP to the Taliban and the Gestapo.

Several LGBT rights groups denounced the shooting immediately in a joint statement, as did Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC). Human rights groups call groups like the FRC and CAP hate groups and bigots and extremists because that’s what they are and there’s an abundance of evidence to back them up on those assessments, not because they want random disturbed individuals to shoot at them.

Speaking for myself, Cathi Herrod really chaps my hide, as I’m sure you’re aware of if you’ve read this blog before. I cannot stand Cathi Herrod. I think Cathi Herrod is a vile person. But I don’t hate her. Really! I don’t! I don’t want any harm to befall Cathi Herrod, and certainly not any violence. I want Cathi to live a long, healthy life surrounded by people who love her. In a world committed to social justice and sustainability, where women have full reproductive rights and science is taught in the schools. Where straight, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and questioning people are fully accepted. Where bullying and violence are not tolerated. Where everyone has access to health care and a social safety net that keeps them from falling into penury. The only negative experience I want Cathi to have, and only if she persists in her bigoted crusade to deprive others of their freedom and dignity is this: disappointment. Yeah, if she’s going to have a sad because no one lets her bully people, so be it.

1. Comment by Petra on August 18, 2012 5:08 pm

So typical of the “Church Lady” of CAP, and so many of her sister and brother bullies in the theocratic wing of the Republican right. They are the true “Me” generation who play the victim card when challenged with facts. I can’t wait for Cathi Herrod to bully some poor fool to introduce her “Don’t touch or tip the strippers” bill next term. So prudish, but so obsessed with thoughts of sex! Will the DD please contact the Arizona Chamber of Commerce and ask them to oppose the bill because of economic impact from lost bachelor parties revenue? I doubt any of the current batch of Republican legislators or lobbyists would have the guts to fight her on the liberty and small government ideals of the old GOP.

2. Comment by mike slater on August 19, 2012 2:43 pm

I can’t stand liberals. I think they’re vile people. I don’t hate them . I just want them to be disappointed when they don’t get their way.

3. Comment by Donna on August 19, 2012 3:47 pm

Maybe you don’t want to harm other people, Mike, but many of your fellow conservatives do. They are actively working to deprive other people of rights.

4. Comment by mike slater on August 20, 2012 4:51 pm

Donna, what rights are those?Are you talking about gay marriage? Marriage isn’t a right. It’s strictly a state issue. Arizona doesn’t allow it which I agree with.

5. Comment by Donna on August 20, 2012 10:08 pm

“Minorities, be it blacks, latinos, or gays don’t want just rights, they want special rights.” Translation: Groups that Mike Slater can no longer openly discriminate against have “special rights”.

6. Comment by AZVoter on August 21, 2012 7:55 am

@Mike,

Visiting a loved in the hospital is a “special right”?

Allowing a committed partner to have a say in their partner’s medical decisions is a “special right”?

Allowing the children of a same-sex couple to remain with their parent after the death of the other is a “special right”?

Allowing a committed partner to have health insurance under their partner’s plan is a “special right”?

Giving the families of same-sex couples the same rights and privilieges of marriage as “traditional” families is the right thing to do. It is the moral thing to do.

You are correct, Mike, that marriage is not a right. It is not a right for you and your wife, it is not a right for my husband and me. It is a privilege accorded to us by the state in which we are married. Therefore, what right does the state have to restrict that privilege to only certain segments of its’ population? What right does the state have to invalidate the relationship of anyone willing to commit to a lifetime of cooperation, support and love?

What right do you have to say what other couples rights should be?

7. Comment by mike slater on August 21, 2012 1:05 pm

AZ, I never said anything about what other couples rights should be. I just stated that marriage is not a right.

Those on the left think that anything they want is a right. It doesn’t work that way.

8. Comment by AZVoter on August 21, 2012 2:12 pm

@Mike,

Actually, you did say what other couples rights should be.

You stated, “Marriage isn’t a right. It’s strictly a state issue. Arizona doesn’t allow it which I agree with. Minorities, be it blacks, latinos, or gays don’t want just rights, they want special rights.”

You state that Arizona doesn’t allow it, and you agree with it, therefore you are stating what other couples rights should (or should not) be.

Gay couples want the right to participate in the medical decisions of their loved ones, a right currently only afforded to “traditional” couples. Are you saying that isn’t a right? If so, then what is it? A privilege? If it’s a privilege, again I ask you, what gives the state the right to accord certain privileges to some people, but not others?