Oh come ON now, Hupp!

29 Jul 2009 04:23 pm

Many of y’all know that I ran for the State Senate in 2006 against John Huppenthal. I’ve tended to take it easy on him on this here blog. In fact I rarely mention him at all. But he’s forced my hand today. There’s only so much a Diva can take before she breaks down. From this afternoon’s AZ Guardian:

During his testimony, the Chandler senator explained that after he tried to cut the sign down, Ruth Levin tried to grab onto the sign and take it back, but he was able to pull it away from her and put the sign in his car. As he drove away, Levin continued to yell in protest and pulled open the door of his Lexus SUV.

β€œI started to pull out and all of the sudden she opened the door,” he said. β€œIt scared the heck out of me, I thought I was being car-jacked by an older woman.”

There’s a statement that’s made of fail. And LOLs. “Older woman”? What is she, a cougar? I mean, come ON dude, really? You were scared? Of Ruth Levin? This Ruth Levin?

Of course, he may have a point. Ya just never know about those old people. There’s a septugenarian gentleman sitting right next to me at Starbucks as I type this. Sure, he may be innocently reading a book, as he appears to be doing. Or he may be getting ready to shank me.

1. Comment by Eli_Blake on July 29, 2009 6:45 pm

I don’t know,

Strom Thurmond and Jesse Helms were menacing well into their nineties.

2. Comment by Zelph on July 29, 2009 9:40 pm

Watch him like a hawk!

3. Comment by AZMama on July 29, 2009 10:05 pm

beware of those wooden coffee stir sticks…lethal in the shaky hands of a AARP preditor.

4. Comment by Gop visitor on July 30, 2009 1:37 am

Donna – The Arizona Guardian reported Hupenthal’s words accurately but completely distorted what actually happened!!!

I was at the trial. Huppenthal testified after Levin did and had exchanged friendly hand waves with her. Huppenthal’s statement was a lighthearted joke, said with a smile, that generated good nature laughter from everyone — even the prosecutor and judge. No one in the courtroom took his statement to mean he was literally afraid of Levin.

The real news of the day is that Emily DeRose, formerly of the State Democratic Party, appeared to commit perjury when testifying by telephone. It was very obvious to insiders who have followed the details of the case. Trust me, that is something that is sure to be followed up on…and the world heard it here first on Democratic Diva!

5. Comment by Donna on July 30, 2009 1:59 am

Heard what here, GOP visitor? Would you care to clarify the nature of the perjury of which you speak?

6. Comment by Craig on July 30, 2009 4:58 am

GOP Visitor, I’m curious too. I was in the courtroom, and I saw a lot of confusion and hesitance.

Not surprising since the judge, prosecutor, and defense attorney were all totally unfamiliar with the courtroom.

When it came to Derose’s testimony, there was trouble finding the right way for her to call in through the court’s phone system. They ended up giving her the direct number (which is *never* supposed to be given out, but they had no choice). Additionally, when they contacted her later for a followup question, the judge disconnected the call.

And then, among all of the technical issues, the defense kept asking specific about campaign finance, an area that Derose made clear that she wasn’t an expert on.

So pray tell, where was the perjury, other than where Huppenthal testified that he had the specific permission of the apartment complex’s management to remove the sign, testimony given *after* the assistant manager of the complex testified differently.

Unless you are now going to claim that there is a conspiracy of perjury out to *get* Huppenthal, Derose has less to worry about than your (less than) honorable state senator.

7. Comment by RM Rilke on August 5, 2009 6:56 pm

Who was the judge, pray tell?