Step forward, “private citizen”, and own what you said about Laura Pastor

24 Aug 2013 10:53 pm

The Phoenix City Council election is next Tuesday and District 4 is one of the races with a heated Democratic primary featuring candidates with strong bases of support. I’m not in D4 so I don’t get the mailers but I did get alerted a few times about a piece that just went out attacking candidate Laura Pastor. It drew on the tiresome trope she was hit with back in 2007 when she ran for city council – “Daddy’s Little Girl”.

This time they went the extra step of comparing her to Paris Hilton.

pastor hit piece side 1

That’s the front of the piece. Here’s the backside:

pastor hit piece side 2

I had no idea that Laura Pastor runs in the same circles as a Hollywood supermodel socialite with a hotel fortune! If so, good for her! At any rate, whoever did the piece tried to act like David Lujan was behind it (no way) and claims to be a “private citizen” with no funding “Provided by a Corporation, Limited Liability Company, Labor Union, or Political Committee”.

Hmm. I think it’s very important that this private citizen comes forth and identifies himself or herself, posthaste. He or she obviously has some noteworthy insights on primogeniture and 21st century celebrity worship that Arizona voters would find valuable. The fact that he or she chooses to be anonymous in these hit pieces on a Phoenix City Council candidate betrays a cowardice unbefitting such a public spirited private citizen.

1. Comment by dude on August 26, 2013 10:27 am

The way this piece slams one candidate so badly and then awkwardly mentions another makes me think the “private citizen” who paid for this piece must have a pretty generic last name. Like “Johnson.”

2. Comment by Ouch on August 26, 2013 10:56 am

I’m only surprised that it took this long for someone to make the allegation that Laura is riding her fathers coat tails. As a woman, I take issue with the allegation because it is unlikely that a man would be subject to the same criticism. But, as a woman, I had really hoped that Laura would work to dispell any notion that she wasn’t willing to work as hard as any candidate in the race to win. I live in District 4 and I have had three candidates knock on my door, Two of them have been to my home more than once. I have seen no sign of Laura. Not a door hanger, not a knock, nothing. My neighbor, who happens to be a BIG Ed Pastor supporter saw a Laura Pastor sign magically apear in his front yard. No call, no knock, never asked to support Laura. So, while I’m sypathetic to her on this particular issue, I don’t think she has done anything to shake the image that her father is willing to work twice as hard as she is to get her elected. I wanted to support Laura, but I supported Lujan. I doubt that he was behind this mailer, but if he was and it gets him into a run off then she is at least 1/2 to blame for doing nothing to shake the image before the shot got fired.

3. Comment by Maritza Lopez on August 26, 2013 2:53 pm

In response to OUCH, Laura Pastor walks daily. She has a full time job, two small children and yet she has been walking EVERY day for months. I call bullshit. Its okay to not like someone or their politics but to blatantly lie is not cool.

As for the yard sign, that was obviously a mistake. Often times when Ive done phone banking, Ill ask “Would you like a yard sign?” and then later on in the week when I arrive at the voter’s home to drop it off….they have no recollection of that. conversation. IT HAPPENS to EVERYONE.

AGAIN, let’s keep this campaign about the issues and stop the mudslinging. I encourage anyone who has any issues with a candidate, contact them directly.

4. Comment by Timmys Cat on August 26, 2013 5:32 pm

I’m with dude. This sounds like a clumsy attempt to play both ends off the middle. I wonder if Private Citizen really did use Private Money?

I live in outerspace so I have no boat in the oar either, but if I support Pastor can I stay in one of her families resorts?
    iva looked all over the intertoobz for paparazzi shots of her with Britney and and Nicole and Snuffims or whoever out clubbing. I also too and as well can’t find a single leaked sex tape neither.

I assumed she and Paris were the same.
    I haz failured.

5. Comment by Eccentric on August 27, 2013 7:25 am

6. Comment by Ouch on August 27, 2013 7:47 am

@Mantza — you should consider what you are writing before you push the “submit comment” button.

Laura Pastor has never knocked on my door and three other candidates have. That’s a fact. She might be knocking on doors every night. I don’t know. But, I know for sure that she hasn’t been to my door.

And as a woman I am tired of women using their children as an excuse for marginal performance. I have children. I work full time. I work late into the evenings to keep my home in order and I NEVER expect a pass becasue I have children. There are other candidates in this race with children. So what??

Laura’s campaign has been average. Other campaigns have been stellar. The outcome wil reflect the effort.