They “chose life” so what’s the problem?

23 Sep 2012 11:44 am

The AZ Republic reports the shocking news that 53% of births are covered by Medicaid.

The share of births paid for by Medicaid has been rising steadily since 1990. That growth hit a significant milestone in 2003 as it passed 50 percent, meaning that state-funded births outnumbered for the first time the number paid for by parents or their insurance companies.

The share has since continued to inch higher. In 2011, the Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System, Arizona’s Medicaid program, paid for 53 percent of the state’s 84,979 births, while private insurance paid for 42 percent, according to state statistics. The remainder were paid for by individuals.

They found it necessary to let you know what percentage of the mothers are *gasp* unmarried.

AZRepublic chart

Naturally some right wing windbag from the lege is asked what he thinks of it.

“I had no idea that the number had grown to that ridiculous level,” said Rep. John Kavanagh, R-Fountain Hills, chairman of the House Appropriations Committee. “That’s shocking and depressing.”

Why so sad, John Kavanagh? Aren’t you glad the women didn’t get abortions?

1. Comment by mike slater on September 23, 2012 2:30 pm

Gee, maybe if the mother and father can’t pay for their child’s birth maybe they shouldn’t have any. Another waste of taxpayer money.

2. Comment by AZVoter on September 24, 2012 7:51 am

Gee, Mike, maybe if the mother had easier access to birth control, they wouldn’t have a child until they could afford it.

3. Comment by Timmys Cat on September 24, 2012 10:50 am

Medicaid spending represented 86% of the public funding for family planning in 2006, or $33 million.16 Medicaid also paid for 54% of births in Arizona in 2009.

WOW that took me all of about ten minutes to find.
    I’m thinking the GOP lege didn’t WANT to find this info, but the great god Unintended Consequences will not be denied. Restricting or trying to restrict access to PP and insurance covered contraception sure sounds good to the base, but they sure don’t want the base to know they will be paying for the inevitable consequences of poorly thought out ideological policy.

“We can alway blame the wimmins.”

4. Comment by mike slater on September 24, 2012 1:52 pm

AZVoter, any women has access to birth control. The problem is they don’t want to pay for it. Remember Sandra Fluke?

As a conservative I don’t care what a woman does as long as the pay for it and not the taxpayers. It’s that personal responsibility thing you know.

I wonder how many of the 53% were illegals.

5. Comment by AZVoter on September 24, 2012 1:54 pm

Mike, with the closure of PP in rural areas, many women do NOT have access to birth control, no matter how much you wish to believe otherwise.

6. Comment by Timmys Cat on September 24, 2012 6:52 pm

As a liberal, I don’t care what a man does as long as they take personal and financial responsibility for their half of a sexual relationship.

There is a birth control device available to men OTC.
    It’s way overdue to start putting the spotlight on the men involved with these pregnancies.

7. Comment by mike slater on September 24, 2012 7:09 pm

Timmys Cat, for the first time I agree with you. The fathers should man up and take financial and personal responsibility for their half of a sexual relationship.

The problem is they don’t and the taxpayers always get stuck with the bill.

Az, those women can decide not to have sex. Nobody”s forcing to do it.

8. Comment by AZVoter on September 25, 2012 6:42 am

Mike, you say the father should man up, then turn around and tell me the woman can decide not to have sex.

Sounds much like the ridiculous “Worth the Wait” my daughter’s MS tried to teach under the guise of “sex education”. It’s totally the woman’s responsibility because the man just can’t help himself.

Just like no one is forcing a woman to do it, no is forcing a MAN to do it.

It’s a two-way street, Mike. It does take a “man” to have a child; too bad most won’t man up after the fact.

9. Comment by mike slater on September 25, 2012 4:37 pm

AZVoter I agree but it takes two to tango. Outside of rape on incest a woman can so no if she doesn’t want to have sex.

I got married in 1975 and divorced in 1978. We had a 2 year old daughter. I faithfully paid my child support every month for 16 years, not because the state said I had to, but I felt it was my responsibility to care for my daughter.

10. Comment by Suzanne on September 25, 2012 8:26 pm

I think that the most tragic statistic is the number of pregnancies by girls younger than 19.
    Today I read an azcentral headline ‘NYC is dispensing Plan-B the morning-after pill to girls as young as 14 at more than 50 public high schools.’ I read that the program started four years ago with few objections from parents. Interesting; and IMHO a positive step in the right direction.

11. Comment by John Kavanagh on September 25, 2012 11:27 pm

I am always glad when an innocent life is allowed to live.

12. Comment by Donna on September 26, 2012 1:27 pm

Except when it’s a poor child who needs health care. You care about “life” from conception to birth, to punish the harlot for having sex. After that you do not care, as your record as a politician attests.

13. Comment by mike slater on September 26, 2012 2:50 pm

Donna, Why should taxpayers have to pay for child birth or health care for poor people. If they’re that poor perhaps they shouldn’t have children.