This Diva is sensing a pattern with Geraldine Ferraro.

11 Mar 2008 05:28 pm

Our first female Vice Presidential candidate seems to be under the impression that black men have it really good in this country, what with all that affirmative action for African American males we have going on up in here.

“If Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position,” she continued. “And if he was a woman (of any color) he would not be in this position. He happens to be very lucky to be who he is. And the country is caught up in the concept.” Ferraro does not buy the notion of Obama as the great reconciler.

Farber says the parentheses “(of any color)” is a direct quote.

Oh yes, black men are just living it up here in America! Why, the very idea of a Black person (of any gender) being a serious Presidential candidate has become such a cliche at this point, hasn’t it?  Didn’t I just read that 1 out of 15 adult Black males in this country is running for President? And those young African Amercan men, by golly are they ahead of the game! 1 in 9 of them is running for President as we speak!

Of course, by “running for President” I mean: In prison.

I couldn’t believe when I heard that quote this morning on the news. I figured that Geraldine just misspoke that one time. As the MSNBC article points out, this was before the high stakes OH and TX primaries. She got a little carried away in her rhetoric, defending her candidate. But she couldn’t possibly believe that Black men in this country have never had it so good, that education, jobs, opportunities, and respect are rolled out at their feet wherever they go. Maybe she was just thinking of Obama as an individual, and it was not a comment on the African American experience in general.

I mean, surely. But then there’s this:

“Any time anybody does anything that in any way pulls this campaign down and says let’s address reality and the problems we’re facing in this world, you’re accused of being racist, so you have to shut up,” Ferraro said. “Racism works in two different directions. I really think they’re attacking me because I’m white. How’s that?”

Geraldine, you know how dumb guys sound when they cry “reverse sexism!” any time there’s a whiff of their male privilege being threatened? Guess how you just sounded? Need a refresher course in Feminism 101, where we learned that the patriarchy maintains the hierarchy wherein rich old white males are on the top and everyone else fights over scraps? Did we forget that both sexism and racism are so deeply entrenched and structural, so as to render even the concept of “reverse” anything to be laughably absurd? Have you not noticed in your 72 years of existence, how white women can be complicit with white men in oppressing people of color, just as surely as men of color can be complicit with white men in oppressing women? Did you ever take a good, hard look at those gruesome postcards of lynchings, and notice the smiling white ladies in the foreground?

I’m not sure I want to know the answer. Because you couldn’t stop there, could you, Geraldine? I heard you went on noted sexual harasser Bill O’Reilly’s radio show to unapologetically defend your comments. I’m told Bill gallantly offered to protect you if you got “attacked”. What a gentleman. Oh, and here you are a couple of weeks ago with another FOX News buttmunch: www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqL_sm0J8jc Repeating the same claim about Obama not being where he’d be now if he were a white man. I give you some points for admitting your own Vice Presidential nomination was an affirmative action hire, but the irony of that is pretty thick.

So Geraldine, what I’m saying is that you seem to have developed a fondness for bloviating about how affirmative action for Black males is grossly unfair to the nice white women on sympathetic Right Wing media outlets.  I don’t know what you’re up to, but some of us are starting to notice it.

1. Comment by ademlament on March 11, 2008 8:07 pm

It sure is frustating when you are losing… I think we are seeing the acts of desperate supporters and a desperate campaign.

2. Comment by Dana on March 11, 2008 10:15 pm

I sure hope she mis-spoke – I certainly do not agree and the Hillary campaing did not as well. I know Obama got where he is because he is a great person, not the color of his skin. Hillary did not get where she is becuase of her gender that is for sure. I can only hope she mis-spoke.

3. Comment by A Dem Lament on March 12, 2008 2:00 pm

It seems pretty clear to me that the campaign is not disavowing her comments other than to say they are regrettable. The Clinton Campaign then attacked Obama for bringing race into the conversation.

Not only is Ferraro not taking it back, she is continuing to talk about it. I cannot believe that the Clintons do not approve of her behavior. The first time she said something was likely a mistake, but now I fear that this has become a specific strategy of the Clintons. I think they are stirring the pot to see what they can get away with and whether they can force Obama into making a mistake. If so, it will be the last straw for me. She will not get my vote if nominated.

Why is this woman still a member of Clinton’s national fundraising committee? The Clintons are so disappointing…

4. Comment by Katie on March 13, 2008 6:22 am

Clinton has repudiated and apologized for the comments and Ferraro is no longer associated with the campaign.

5. Comment by A Dem Lament on March 14, 2008 3:08 pm

That only took three days… What were they waiting on? How does the campaign explain away attacking Barack Obama for “bringing race into the campaign” after Ferraro made her statements?

It is sad to say, but I no longer trust the motives or actions of the Clintons. It is something that I thought I would never say or feel. I have admired them for a very longtime. I have also spent a significant amount of time defending them, but that is over now. They have lost the benefit of the doubt that I would normally reserve for any Democrat. I now just assume when things like this happen that they are either calculated or incompetence.

6. Comment by Liza on March 15, 2008 2:21 pm

Katie,
    Read this article from Truthout by Robert Parry. It is a very good summary about what the consequences of Hillary Clinton’s scorched earth campaign against Obama are likely to be:

Not only is Hillary Clinton “awash in this filth” as Keith Olbermann has stated, but so are you, her supporters.

Perhaps you should encourage her to run a clean campaign, although it is probably already be too late.

7. Comment by Liza on March 15, 2008 2:29 pm

Dem Lament,
    Please read my link about to Truthout. This is not about one comment by any one person. It is about the entire Hillary campaign to reduce Obama to an incompetent black man who is not qualified to be the commander in chief. It is dirty politicking at its worst.

Hillary will take down the Democratic party and she would sooner give this election to McCain than do what is right for this country. She is losing and she needs to acknowledge that and move on. But, her filth seems to getting her some votes so she will keep it up.

She is despicable, there is just no other word.

8. Comment by Donna on March 15, 2008 9:04 pm

Liza and A dem, I don’t cotton to the idea that Clinton is behind Ferraro’s comments. It appeared to be free-lancing to me. She has a history of making these kind of statements (having said something similar about Jesse Jackson back in ’88) and was elected in what was known as “Archie Bunker’s district”.

That said, I would have liked to see Hillary come out more forcefully against them, especially since Geraldine invoked feminism. That was my point. I reject the notion, disturbingly prevalent among some white women leaders these days, that sexism trumps racism, and that it’s one type of person’s “turn” for the Presidency as opposed to another’s. Patriarchy is a giant, stinky swamp, enveloping all of us in its oppressive stench.

9. Comment by Debra Boehlke on March 24, 2008 3:48 pm

The above post sounded like someone was on drugs—-
    Patriarchy is a giant stinky swamp, enveloping all of us in its oppressive stench? But you want to choose another guy to get us out of it?

Hillary has cut Ferraro loose from the campaign- what more do you want her to do?

Obama first said he’d never heard Pastor Wright say inflammatory things about whites (and pillory Hillary) and then he admitted he had, but then went on to give us a total rationalization as to why that is okay.

Don’t get me wrong- I think blacks in this country have definitely had a tough time of it in our history, but for someone who is the “post-racial”candidate, he sure picked a VERY controversial -race centric church. I am from Chicago, have been to this church twice and it is not a mainstream church.

I mentioned this to several people at the beginning of the campaign, knowing full well the Republicans will use this to do in our candidate.

I am a realist- we need a candidate that is electable- both of our choices have a tough hill to climb, but one has been vetted more then any other- Hillary- there isn’t anything they can throw that isn’t old news.

Stinky swamp, enveloping all of us? Not me, thank you