What John Kavanaugh meant to say

27 Apr 2009 02:20 pm

Tedski already did a full post on Senator Kavanaugh’s proposal that all college students pay a minimum of $1000 a year, regardless of how poor they are so I won’t belabor the point but there was one quote of Kavanaugh’s that needs some tweaking to make the subtext clear:

It’s unfair. Why should these students get to go to school for free just because their families are poor?

When I run that quote through my trusty Diva Wingnut Translator it comes out like this:

It’s unfair inconsistent with my Robber Baron values. Why should these students peons who could be put to far better use as WalMart cashiers or prison laborers get to go to school for free at all just because since their families are poor?

1. Comment by Joop deBruin on April 29, 2009 8:14 am

I worked full time while gaining two BA degrees in Environmental Engineering and Public Administration. We have a 16 yr old son that has been working at Safeway since age 14 and has saved up $9,500 toward college.

Why is it so damned wrong to expect all kids to pay something toward their education?

Liberals believe that the majority should sit on their dead butts and let the hard working minority pay for them. That’s wrong, and it is time to make everyone pay their own way in life. Boo hoo that it makes you work. Yes I realize that work is a four letter word for the Darwinian losers.

2. Comment by Joop deBruin on April 29, 2009 8:17 am

Let’s hear a well thought out and developed argument why work is out of the question to pay for college. I can’t wait to hear your “thoughts”. (or more likely rants.)

3. Comment by Donna on April 30, 2009 7:11 pm

Joop, if you were smart you would have gotten a full scholarship. Don’t cry to me because you didn’t shine enough academically. Glad to see you’ve made something of yourself, though. Kudos to your son too, for his hard work saving up all that money. It’s great that your family makes enough that he can save it for college instead of having to help the family pay for rent and food like his poorer counterparts do.

I should say I find it enormously amusing that you’d even evoke Darwinism since your whole argument is essentially Social Darwinism – survival of the “fittest”. What would Jesus do?

4. Comment by Donna on April 30, 2009 7:21 pm

How about I let the Arizona Constitution do my arguing:

“The university and all other state educational institutions shall be open to students of both sexes, and the instruction furnished shall be as nearly free as possible.”

$1000 a year for a kid in poverty is NOT nearly free, and your own son shouldn’t have to be saving up thousands of dollars to barely cover his own tuition. If that’s a rant to you, then call me ranting because I believe in the value of education and that it should be available to everyone, not just rich white kids.

5. Comment by Donna on April 30, 2009 7:31 pm

BTW, Joop, if the fake email address you’re going to use is “obama_iza_traitor@yahoo.com” you really don’t have a whole lot of room to criticize other people’s tone in their blog.

6. Comment by Ken Chadwick on May 4, 2009 8:40 pm

Obama IS a traitor. I recall candidate Obama urged Schwarzenegger to sign legislation extending Califonia state financial aid to illegal immigrant college students. If you believed in the value of an education why did you go to the University of Phoenix diploma mill? That’s were the rejects go!

7. Comment by Joyce on May 4, 2009 9:01 pm

Why are you blogging on company time Donna? That’s stealing. This is a very hateful blog you have going here. I will be contacting your superiors.

Shame on you!

Joyce

Tourchmark Corp.

8. Comment by Donna on May 5, 2009 2:47 pm

You should tell my boss on me, Joyce.

9. Comment by Donna on May 5, 2009 2:49 pm

Also, you might want to check the spelling of the company name. It’s Torchmark, not Tourchmark.

10. Comment by Donna on May 5, 2009 2:52 pm

Then again, Ken, I wasn’t bragging about my educational credentials, like the person I responded to did.