Wherein the Republic ed board demolishes whatever shred of its credibility that might have remained.

12 Jan 2011 01:25 am

Just when I thought Republic editorials weren’t capable of a more epic level of fail than that which they’d already demonstrated:

Dupnik took up his cause again on Monday. And, in response, we have to say at last . . . enough. Enough attacks, sheriff. Enough vitriol. It is well past time for the sheriff of Pima County to get a grip on his emotions and remember his duty.

It is well past time!

Let me get this straight: The Republic gave Joe Arpaio a pass for years until the Maricopa County Sheriff’s behavior got so megalomanical and vindictive that even they couldn’t indulge him any longer but now they are quick to condemn Pima Sheriff Clarence Dupnik for being indecorous enough to call attention to uncomfortable truths about the political climate in Arizona.

Really?

Sheriff Dupnik is four years younger than Sheriff Arpaio and has about as long a career in law enforcement. Dupnik has served the people of Pima County since 1980. Twelve years longer than Arpaio has been Maricopa County’s Sheriff. Somehow, Dupnik managed to do his job for over three decades in relative obscurity. In that time he hasn’t become the grotesque caricature of narcissism that Arpaio has. Looks like Clarence Dupnik already had a grip on his emotions. There’s a difference between becoming famous for something you said (Dupnik) and desperately seeking fame at all times (Arpaio). Wish the Republic would learn the difference.

1. Comment by todd on January 12, 2011 9:35 am

I think the attacks on the Sheriff say much more about those doing the attacking than they say about Dupnick. I found what he has said to be quite level-headed and rational. The fact that the right, Sen Jack Harper and now the Republic are seeking to vilify him makes it clear that they are unwilling to look at themselves. I also find the attempt to minimize any political motivation to be quite interesting. The killer certainly seems to be unbalanced and may have mental health problems, but why does that mean he had no political agenda. The agenda I gather from him is straight out of Lew Rockwell and Alex Jones land. These two are also closely tied to Ron Paul, who, while not necessarily ‘mainstream’ is certainly a darling of the Teaparty set.

2. Comment by Appleblossom on January 12, 2011 9:30 pm

These are people he knows who died and were severely wounded.

So I give him props for being so restrained. The people who are whining about his stating the truth need to be the ones to shush.

3. Comment by Alan Scott on January 13, 2011 5:35 pm

todd,

You lefties never stop trying to tie the shooter to Conservatives. Well if we are being ridiculous, how about we blame Atheists for the murders because Mr. Loughner was one ? If only the man had found religion.

Comparing Arpaio to Dupnik, well I would feel safer having Arpaio as my Sheriff. Based on the crime rate in each man’s jurisdiction.

4. Comment by Appleblossom on January 13, 2011 6:18 pm

I have Sheriff Arpaio as my sheriff.

The only places crime has gone up is where his office is in charge. Everywhere it has gone down.

5. Comment by PearlClutcher on January 14, 2011 8:59 am

Alan sez “Now you’ve committed “blood libel”.

6. Comment by Alan Scott on January 15, 2011 11:50 am

Appleblossom,

You might just want to look up the per capita crime statistics of the two Sheriffs Counties. For 09 Violent crime Arpaio was 247, Dupnik was 622. Murder and manslaughter Arpaio was 6, Dupnik was 18. Propert crime Arpaio was 1,557, Dupnik was 11,474.

PearlClutcher,

You are a credit to your ideology.

7. Comment by Appleblossom on January 16, 2011 11:38 pm

I looked at the breakdown of where those crimes occurred. The cities it went down. The rest of the areas it went up.

8. Comment by Truth08 on January 17, 2011 6:48 pm

Another fact is that Arpaio has cost the Maricopa County Taxpayers at least 43 million in paid out lawsuit judgments..

All the rest of the States police and Sheriff Dept’s combined have not even come close..?

Did I mention its still counting..? Oh yes, the seemingly never ending bottomless pit of lawsuits he still has pending…., and will most certainly be continued to be filed, will pale that amount in comparison..

Regards,
    Truth

P/S Donna any chance of you having Resnik’s Square-off link..? It was a Classic!! Gutierrez let Robb have it…lol..!!
    If so plz send it to me at F/B…Thx..

9. Comment by Cheri on January 18, 2011 8:23 pm

And this is exactly why I quit getting that paper years ago. And as for all the “my sheriff is better than your sheriff “…horsecrap, I’d take Sheriff Dupnick ANY day of the week. Arpiao is a self aggrandizing idiot that has cost, and is continuing to cost, this county MILLIONS and MILLIONS of dollars, while having himself and his “deputies” engage in illegal activities.He is an ugly, hateful, egotistical idiot that has done nothing to serve this county and its citizens. The day he gets voted out, I will dance in the streets, and sing at the top of my voice.The sooner, the better. Kudos to Sheriff Dupnik for speaking the truth on the state of affairs in this hate state that we live in…

10. Comment by JustJoeP on January 21, 2011 5:11 pm

“If only the man had found religion.”
    Alan Scott, are you serious?

Do you have ANY idea of the billions of humans that organized “religion” has been the cause of their slaughter? Christian (Catholic and Protestant), Muslim (Shia, Sunni, Druze, Sufi), Hindu, Sikh, Norse, Pagan, Confucian, Shinto… they all have disproportionate blood on their hands, compared to atheists, agnostics, and deists.

I am not an atheist myself, but I have many good friends who are, and not a single one of them are unstable and deranged enough to commit premeditated murder, against an elected legislator or anyone else.

It’s NOT the lack of “religion” that caused or lead to twisted Jared’s murderous shooting spree. Lots of very religious people do extremely heinous acts to their fellow men, women, and children. Look at his home life, his mental health, and the lack of an effective public health care safety net, combine that with a sophomoric adolescent obsession the disillusioned boy had with the attractive and engaging Giffords, and it’s not hard to trace back the series of events that lead to a violent tragedy.

11. Comment by Mondvt on November 25, 2011 9:57 am

It truly is exceedingly easier said than done to entertain worthwhile figures on the web then again your focus is special moreover exceedingly highly explained. Thanks.

As a final point , permit me thank you for your understanding with my English as (I’m certain you have figured this at this moment ,), English is not my main language thus I am utilizing Google Translate to figure out how to record what I sincerely mean to tell.